Stadt Brackenheim

Seitenbereiche

Places of interest

Largest viticultural town of Württemberg

Brackenheim is located app. 40 km north of Stuttgart and 15 km south-west of Heilbronn in the centre of the Zabergäu – a region rich in vineyards between Stromberg (app. 400 metres AMSL) and Heuchelberg (app. 300 metres AMSL). Brackenheim and its eight villages has 14,000 inhabitants. The vine variety covers and acreage of 841 hectares and so Brackenheim is the largest viticultural town of Württemberg. Brackenheim, home town of the first president of the Federal Republic of Germany Theodor Heuss, is worthwhile for visitors to see the buildings in its historical city centre and its villages and is looking forward to treating and entertaining guests.

Brackenheim

  • Renaissance castle of 1556 (ancient home of widows of the Dukes of Württemberg)
  • early gothic church Saint Jakobus
  • old town hall, rococo style, 1780
  • late Romanic basilica Saint Johannis (in the grave yard)
  • romantically old town with lots of timber-framed buildings
  • Theodor Heuss Museum
  • “WeinInfothek”
  • “Natur- und Weinlehrpfad im Zweifelberg”, a nature trail and wine tutorial path

Botenheim

  • late gothic church “Marienkirche” of 1350
  • “Gülthaus” of 1605, once “Zehntscheuer” (tithe-barn) of the Teutonic-Order
  • Museum of local history in the ancient town-hall, visitation by arrangement, telephone 0049 7135 7606, Christa Brückner, chairwoman of the “Heimatverein”
  • nature reserve “Zaberauen” (at “Schleicherweg”)

Dürrenzimmern

  • 12th-century Maria-Magdalena-Church, re-built in 1948 as first church of Württemberg
  • ancient town hall of 1731
  • “Waldschenke Hörnle” (forest-inn)
  • church hall

Haberschlacht

  • Jakobuskirche with an early gothic tower
  • old wine press (renovated)
  • nature reserve “Haberschlachter Tal”

Hausen an der Zaber

  • Saint Georg Church with a romanic tower and oldest knight statue of Württemberg (app. 1290)
  • 2nd/3rd-century Jupiter-Gigantensäule (copy) near the stadium

Meimsheim

  • ancient Germanic place of trial
  • late gothic church (Martinskirche)
  • “Ochsenbrunnen” (ox-fountain), renaissance style

Neipperg

  • late gothic church (Katharinenkirche)
  • Stauffer double-castle with two donjons
  • ancient town-hall

Stockheim

  • 16th-century Saint-Ulrich-Church with a gothic high altar
  • “Schloss Stocksberg” (castle)
  • town-hall, built in 1604 as departure office for the Teutonic Order
  • ancient “Zehntscheuer” (tithe-barn)