Seite drucken
Stadt Brackenheim

The fire in 1691

The initial market square was once overbuilt. In 1691 112 buildings were burnt down and so a re-construction was necessary. One of the first re-built buildings in the market square was the pharmacy in Marktstraße 15 which was constructed from two houses in 1696. The old town hall of 1424 which was destroyed by the fire stood on the same place as the present one. Johann Adam Groß d. J. created the town hall which you can still see today. It was built 1774 till 1776 in rococo-style. The Protestant Johanniskirche in the graveyard is a late romanic basilica with a high gothic choir loft. There are some 13th and 14th century paintings in it. Originally it was the church of Brackenheim.The first president of the Federal Republic of Germany – Theodor Heuss – was born in Brackenheim on 31 January 1884 in the `Meehschen Haus´ - the ancient wine press house opposite the castle. This building no longer exists. In its place a modern wine press house was built in 1950. As a place of rememberence in 1968 the Theodor Heuss Museum was opened in the New Gate Lodge at the South end of Obertorstraße (built in 1882). In the range of the municipal reform 1971 – 1974 when the once independent communes Botenheim, Dürrenzimmern, Haberschlacht, Hausen, Meimsheim, Neipperg and Stockheim – all well known for their wines – were integrated, Brackenheim became with its vine variety (841 hectar) the largest viticultural town in Württemberg.